Dental Hygiene & Gums
How important is healthy gums?
The answer is very! After all they are what helps hold our teeth in. Some people have excellent oral hygiene but If not you teeth aren’t looked after then can become loose and inevitably fall out. It is still extremely important to see the Hygienist, to your mouths in the gums in excellent condition. It doesn’t matter how much and how well you brush and floss, or how much money you have just spent on the latest electric toothbrush, there will still be parts of your mouth that you just won’t be A hygienist has instruments with just about every shape imaginable and the training to know exactly where the hidden tartar and plaque will be able to clean as effectively as a hygienist
In Victoria Dentists
Dental hygiene treatment is delivered by a specially trained dental hygienist who will help to remove any hard-to-reach plaque from your teeth that may have built up over time. Here is what you can expect from a hygiene appointment:
- Your teeth and gums will be assessed to determine the amount of plaque removal you will need and risk factors will be highlighted.
- Your teeth will be professionally cleaned with special equipment and pastes. This process is also known as scaling and polishing.
- The hygienist's role is to show you how to look after your teeth so that they remain free from plaque in the future. You will be advised on the best tooth brushing technique and given tips on flossing and using interdental brushes.
Dental hygiene at our practice also functions preventatively to treat gum disease and bad breath. If you have a bridge, denture, orthodontic treatment or a dental implant you will have specific hygiene needs that the hygienist will be able to assist you with.
It is recommended that you come in for regular hygiene appointments to ensure your mouth stays clean and healthy.
Healthy Smile ‘5 Stage Hygiene Clean’
- Machine Scaling - Removing tartar above your gums, under your gums, around your teeth.
- Ultra-Fine Hand Scaling - Removing tartar above your gums, under your gums, around your teeth using ultra-fine tip for attention to detail.
- Inter-Proximal Scaling - Removing tartar in between your teeth using thinnest tip available to clean the parts that can’t be reached.
- Professional Flossing - Flossing of all contact points, teeth and gums.
- Professional Polish - Polishing all your surfaces with stain removal.